Have you ever crafted with foam sheets? Not only are they sturdy and flexible, but they also come in a huge array of colors, including glitter variations. When I first laid eyes on the glitter foam sheets, I knew that a holiday craft would be in my future.
- Craft foam sheets
- Hot glue
1. Select three colors of glitter foam and cut out five equal-sized circles from each sheet. I recommend 2-inch circles. You can cut them by hand or use a craft puncher.
2. Cut your circles in half. You will end up with 10 half circles of each color; Five will form the top of the ornament while the other five will form the bottom.
3. Glue along the straight edge of each half-circle and fold them in half – glitter sides together. The third image shows the resulting shape. I will refer to these as "petals" in future instructions.
4. Glue the petals together in an A, B, C pattern.
5. Once you've glued 15 of the petals together, you'll be able to glue the first and last ones together to form the top of the ornament. Repeat with the other 15 petals to form the bottom.
6. Glue the top and bottom sections together while lining up the matching colors.
7. Cut out two smaller circles (that will cover the hole through the orb). Thread a piece of string through one of the circles before gluing them both into place.
The finished product is a handcrafted beautiful ornament your family can use year after year!
Sarah Hauge is the publisher of Macaroni KID Englewood, Greenwood Village, Centennial, Colo.